Hi everyone…hope you’re having a great weekend! Today I have for you the king of snack galore: Chicken Cheese Balls. So this recipe was supposed to be published on Thursday, but I didn’t feel well enough, so we’re a couple of days late!
And these chicken cheese balls are everything that your snack loving heart craves for: there’s chicken, cheese and a crispy coating for breadcrumbs. It’s only 9:52 am here as I write this post, and guess what? I’m actually craving these Chicken Cheese Balls right now.
Is it too early to have snacks?
Nevermind, I have a stash of these in my freezer right now, so I can have them whenever I want. 😀
And guess what? these Chicken Cheese Balls are baked, not fried. So there’s no hassle of frying (I can go to any length to avoid frying), and it also means that these Chicken Cheese Balls are kinda healthy.
Also, these balls are super kid friendly (and adults too!) and are perfect for school lunches or mid afternoon snacks. These would be a great appetizer for super bowl parties and birthday parties too!
These balls are pretty straightforward to make, but the only thing I’d like to stress upon is that when baking these Chicken Cheese Balls, make sure that you grease the foil generously with oil. And also turn around the balls on the baking tray, so that all the the sides are coated with oil. This will ensure that the chicken balls bake crispy, and not soggy.
I love dipping these crispy baked golden beauties in ketchup (I know how sophisticated :p) but these would be great dipped in ranch sauce or even BBQ sauce!
I do hope you try this simple and delicious recipe, and I’m sure you’ll never want to buy the chicken cheese balls from the frozen aisle again because these Chicken Cheese Balls are da bomb!
P.S. If you’re looking for more fun snacks then be sure to check out these delicious appetizers:
Chicken Cheese Balls
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1/2 jalapeno (chopped and seeds removed)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 to 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 3-4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 eggs (divided)
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 cups flour
- In a medium sized pot, add 1/2 cup water, the chicken breasts, garlic paste, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Cover the pot, and boil the chicken until it's cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pot and let it cool.
- Shred the chicken with a fork, or you can use a food processor (I used a food processor). Make sure the chicken is cooled down if using food processor to shred it.
- Preheat oven to 200 C and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil. Spray generously with cooking oil.
- Transfer the shredded chicken to a bowl, and add the cheese, mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce and one egg. Mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Roll this chicken mixture into balls (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Now for the breading of these chicken cheese balls: place the remaining egg, bread crumbs and flour in separate shallow dishes. Add one tablespoon of water to the egg and whisk lightly.
- Now start by rolling one chicken cheese ball in the flour, then dip it in the egg and then roll it in the breadcrumbs until fully coated. Continue these steps, until all chicken cheese balls have been breaded.
- Place the chicken cheese balls on the baking tray, and bake 15-20 minutes or until the chicken cheese balls are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: These chicken cheese balls can be made ahead and frozen up to 1 month. Just complete all the steps until the chicken cheese balls have been breaded. Then partially freeze on a freezer safe tray, and then transfer to a zip lock bag. For baking frozen chicken cheese balls: bake as instructed above but the baking time may be a few minutes longer if using frozen chicken cheese balls.