It’s 10:42 am as I write this post, and can I just say that I’m craving this scrumptious Easy Walnut Pie, right now? I mean it won’t be so bad if I take a little slice of this pie right now with a cup of strong coffee, right? And boy do I need coffee or what? Life has been a whirlwind of shooting my first recipe video for this blog (coming very soon your way – so exciting!), learning to edit videos (not so exciting!), and lots of marketing stuff related to this blog, my itty bitty blog which is growing with leaps and bounds.
Ever since I started my blog, my life has become a rollercoaster, with ups and downs, meeting new friends in the blogging world (which are awesome by the way), tears of frustrations when I can’t figure out something technical, a heartbeat skipping watching my recipes go viral.
And add to all this, I have a mischievous toddler to raise who often creates havoc behind the scenes of I Knead to Eat’s food photography and video making. She even has very own tripod, which she pretends to take pictures with! 🙂 So it’s safe to say, life is full, and that’s the way I like it. 🙂
So I definitely deserve a slice of this delicious walnut pie, with a delicious crumbly pie crust and a sinful caramel walnut filling, don’t you think? Oh who am I kidding, even if I don’t deserve this pie, I’ll still take a slice please, with a dollop of whipped cream. 😉
So if you’re feeling like you could take a break, and celebrate life, the gorgeous blessing that fall weather is, or just need a sweet treat, this would be the perfect recipe to turn to.
Let’s talk about this pie a bit. Especially the pie crust. So I have a confession to make. I don’t like making pie crusts because I feel they are very fussy to deal with and are often too high maintenance. And if you’re a regular reader around here, you know that I don’t do high maintenance recipes at all. The creamy caramel walnut filling is also very easy and only requires three ingredients: walnuts, (obviously!), heavy cream and sugar.
But first, let’s talk about the pie crust:
- This easy pie crust is made with just a handful of ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, oil and egg. There’s absolutely nothing complicated about this pie crust, I guarantee you.
- All you have to do is whisk together the dry ingredients, then add in the oil and egg and mix until combined.
- And here comes the easiest part, you just need to press the pie crust into a baking dish and that’s it. I used a 9 inch round baking dish.
- This pie crust is crumbly, and sort of similar to the texture of a softer shortcrust biscuit, and combined with the walnut filling, it is mind blowingly delicious.
So now that all things pie have been discussed, let’s come to the star of the show, the sinfully delicious walnut filling:
1. Now, this walnut filling is actually even easier than the pie crust itself. I swear, you will love me for giving you such an easy pie recipe, even if I do say so myself. 😛
2. Okay so I have three words for you: walnuts, heavy cream and sugar. Add all of these ingredients to a medium sized saucepan and cook for 15-20 minutes until it becomes a caramely mixture, and I predict that you will want to take a taste, and while I would do the same, just make sure that you don’t burn your tongue!
3.) Now all you have to do is add the filling to the prepared pie crust, and baaaake.
So while I may not have presented with you a traditional pie today, I do guarantee that this Easy Walnut Pie will be regularly featured in your baking escapades after you take that first warm, ooey gooey bite of this pie.
Now put on your apron, and take out your flour, because it’s pie making time! 😉
Happy baking! 🙂
Yields 8-10 servings
This easy walnut pie is the perfect dessert for winter months, and so easy to make as well. The pie crust comes together in no time, and the filling requires only three simple ingredients.
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- For the Walnut Filling:
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 150 c and prepare a 9 inch round baking dish by greasing it with cooking spray.
- For the Walnut Filling:
- Place the walnuts, heavy cream and sugar in a medium sized saucepan, and cook on medium high heat. Keep stirring for about 20 minutes, until the filling has thickened up and is golden brown in color, like the color you see in the pictures above. Set aside.
- For the Pie Crust:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, icing sugar and baking powder. Add in the egg and oil, and mix until combined and the mixture looks like a dough.
- Press into the baking dish, making sure it is evenly spread and also press up the edges of the baking dish.
- For Assembling the Pie:
- Pour in the walnut filling onto the prepared baking dish, and bake for 30 minutes until the edges of the crust are golden brown.
- Let come to room temperature before serving.
Looking for more delicious desserts?