Make this easy and popular Indo-Chinese Hot and Sour Soup at home now. No need for Chinese takeout anymore!
I love making Indo-Chinese recipes at home, and have a growing collection at I Knead to Eat. If you’re looking to pair this Hot and Sour Soup with more Indo-Chinese recipes then look no further than here: Chicken Manchurian, Gobi Manchurian (a delicious vegetarian option) and Dynamite Shrimp (the MOST popular recipe on my blog!)
Winter is here, and we all know that cold chilly evenings are perfect to enjoy a hot bowl of soup, and today I’m sharing one of the most popular Indo-Chinese soup recipes: Hot and Sour Soup.
I actually prefer Hot and Sour Soup over Chicken Corn Soup (which is also a popular soup) because I love all things spicy! Also try this delicious Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup.
Easy Hot and Sour Soup is made with lots of thinly sliced vegetables and some kind of protein. An egg or two is added to make those delicious and beautiful egg rivulets.
What You Need
- Green onion
- Green Capsicum or Bell Pepper
- Shredded Chicken Breasts
- For the hot element I use sriracha sauce, and while I know a lot of recipes call for red chilli sauce, I prefer sriracha because I always have it in my pantry and also, it has vinegary tanginess to it which accentuates the sourness of the soup.
- For the sour element I use white vinegar (but you may use rice vinegar as well).
I also use dark soy sauce instead of regular light soy sauce because I think it gives a better and intense flavour to the hot and sour soup. However, it’s totally okay to use regular soy sauce as well.
How Do You Make It
If you want to make this soup vegetarian then simply swap out the shredded chicken for tofu.
In fact tofu is a very popular choice of protein for hot and sour soup, and tastes delicious in this soup.
Is There Egg In This Soup?
Yes Chinese hot and sour soup is an egg drop soup, and an egg is added at the ended to make egg rivulets.
However, if you do not wish to add an egg, it would be fine to just skip it.
You might need to add a bit more of cornflour slurry in order to get the right consistency of the soup though.
The soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
This soup can also be stored in the freezer in airtight container for up to one month. Just thaw and bring to a boil, and serve as usual.
I do hope you try this delicious and healthy hot and sour soup recipe.
It’s great as an appetizer or even as a main meal served with some sides such as spring rolls or fish crackers. You can even serve this as starter with this delicious Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon which is ready in under 30 minutes!
More Indo Chinese Recipes
Chicken Teriyaki with Vegetables
Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger chopped finely
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped finely
- 1/2 cup carrot julienned
- 1/2 cup cabbage julienned
- 1/2 cup green capsicum or bell pepper julienned
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 4 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar or rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon cornflour + 1/4 cup water mixed to make a cornflour slurry
- 1 egg lightly whisked
This was so good!!! I’ve made it several times and even sent some to my family!! They were obsessed!! Gonna make this all year round!
What is dark soy sauce exactly? I can’t find it in the stores and the internet isn’t being very helpful.