Saag Aloo (Aloo Palak)
Saag Aloo aka Aloo Palak is a classic vegetarian recipe that’s made with spinach and potatoes. It’s quick, easy and so very nutritious.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 medium potatoes chopped into cubes
- 2 to matoes chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 450 grams frozen spinach I get the chopped kind
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kasuri methi optional
Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add the cumin and garlic and fry for a minute or two until golden.
Now add the finely chopped onion, and fry until its golden brown.
Add the chopped potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes or so until slightly cooked.
Now add the tomatoes along with the red chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until you can see the oil coming to the surface.
Now add the spinach and cook on medium low heat, covered, for 15-20 minutes while stirring every few minutes.
Once the spinach is cooked, add kasuri methi and garam masala powder. Mix.