This 20 Minute Mozzarella Chicken is the perfect recipe to make when you're short on time. It's a low carb version of chicken parm, but I promise you won't miss the breaded version in this super easy and delicious recipe. Served with pasta it is a quick and filling recipe.
Why this Recipe is So Awesome
1.) It's super fast and super easy (totally my kind of recipe).
2.) It's flavorful with lots of pasta sauce.
3.) And it's super cheesy with all the mozzarella cheese! Yes yes yes!
And that's total a win in my recipe book! 😉
While this easy mozzarella chicken is super fast and takes minimal effort, it's perfect for winters because it's a warm cozy dish with lots of pasta sauce and cheesy baked chicken. Comfort food at its best without a lot of complicated steps and time is the best kind, no? Also try these delicious and fast Crispy Breaded Chicken Cutlets with this Creamy Garlic Pasta.
You could of course make a homemade tomato sauce, but I used a jar of pasta sauce because I was pressed for time and also had a very hungry toddler hanging around in the kitchen. 😉
How to Make It
1.) So this 20 Minute Mozzarella Chicken was born out of a hankering for parmesan chicken, but I didn't want to go through the whole process of breading the chicken breasts.
So instead of breading the chicken in breadcrumbs I just seasoned the chicken breasts with a couple of spices and lemon juice and seared it in the frying pan. While it's not quite the same as parmgiana chicken, it is perfect if you are short on time.
2.) Then I simply spread the pasta sauce in a baking dish, and nestled the cooked chicken breasts on top of the sauce. Then I added slices of mozzarella cheese and baked it until it's all golden brown, ooey gooey and simple delicious! I used sliced mozzarella cheese, but even shredded mozzarella cheese would be great. However, try to get fresh mozzarella cheese as that's the one that tastes and melts the best.
3.) Serve it on a bed of cooked linguine (or any kind of pasta you like), and you're all set for a delicious dinner that tastes like a million bucks!
I loved this dish for its simplicity and bright flavors and minimal ingredients required. It's the perfect kind of weeknight dinner or for when you want a really good comfort dish but don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. I mean 20 minutes for such a restaurant style dish?
Count me in! 😉
I do hope you try this brilliantly simple and delicious 20 Minute Mozzarella Chicken because it is da bomb! 😉 Lol.
20 Minute Mozzarella Chicken
- 4 medium chicken breasts skinless & boneless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese you can also use shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb cooked fettuccine pasta
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice. Set aside. In a large frying pan, heat the oil and then add the chicken breasts. Cook on both sides until browned and cooked through. This will take about 3-4 minutes on each side but it also depends on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- In a baking dish, spread the pasta sauce so that it covers the base of the dish and then place the cooked chicken breasts on top. Top the chicken breasts with the mozzarella cheese slices. Place the baking dish into the oven for about 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. You may turn on the broiler to get a deeper golden brown color on the cheese.
- Serve over the cooked fettuccine pasta.