Cake Rusk are the Indian version of Italian Biscotti and are a favourite tea time snack across India and Pakistan. Learn how to make cake rusk with my step by step guide…it’s super easy!
Because let’s face it, the best part of having tea is actually the cake rusk we get to eat with it!
Living in the Middle East, one of the things I miss the most from back home is Cake Rusk.
So I finally decided to try out my hand at cake rusk at home, and guess what? It’s super easy to make cake rusk at home!
What is Cake Rusk Made Of?
Ever wondered what cake rusk is made of? It’s made from a simple yellow cake that is baked twice, much like the Italian biscotti. However, baking twice is the only similarity and the actual dough of Italian biscotti is prepared differently.
How to Make Cake Rusk
Start by sifting the flour and baking powder, and then set aside these dry ingredients.
Beat together the sugar and butter, until pale and fluffy.
Then add the eggs, one by one, beating after each addition, until fully incorporated.
Now add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
Also add the yellow food color, and gently fold in.
Pour the batter into a prepared baking pan, and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Then remove the cake from the oven, and let cool. Remove from the baking pan and cut into 1 inch strips.
Transfer these cake rusk strips to a baking tray, and bake again for 15 minutes on each side.
Remove from oven, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Not that they would last that long! 🙂
More Cookie Recipes to Enjoy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 drop of yellow food colour optional
- Preheat oven to 180 c and prepare an 8 x 10 in baking pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour with baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color.
- Add the yellow food color (if using) and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Now add in the flour and mix until just combined. Lastly, add the vanilla extract and fold it in gently.
- Pour the cake rusk batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from oven and let cool. Then remove the cake from the baking pan, and let it completely cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 150 c.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a sharp knife to cut the cake into 1 inch strips.
- Transfer the cake slices to a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking tray from the oven, turn the cake rusk sides and bake for another 15 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.