Golden Turmeric Milk (Haldi Doodh) is an anti-inflammatory and soothing hot drink that’s perfect for when you’ve got a cold or just want a comforting drink before bedtime. It’s made with only five basic ingredients.
So the weather is finally changing here in the Middle East, and it’s getting coldish. I say coldish, because by the rest of the world’s standards it’s still pretty pleasant here. But since we live in perpetual summer all year long, any cool weather is winter for us, okay? Please let us believe that and be happy. Lol.
Anyway, with cooler weather come the sniffles and the colds, and this is the perfect soothing beverage to chase those blues away.
What Is It?
Golden Turmeric Milk is an anti-inflammatory drink made with milk and you guessed it, turmeric. A few additional ingredients such as honey & cinnamon, and you’ve got a delicious healthy drink. Turmeric milk is often used to cure cold and cough, but it generally has a lot of health benefits.
- Turmeric milk is anti-inflammatory and is an excellent source for anti-oxidants.
- Golden Milk can be used to cure colds and coughs, and apparently is known as natural aspirin in Ayurvedic medicine.
- It is great for digestion and is an excellent source of calcium too.
- It also helps in building immunity and helps to protect against virals.
How Do You Make It
- It’s so easy and quick to make haldi doodh.
- All you need is any kind of milk (I use whole milk), turmeric powder, honey, black pepper and cinnamon.
- Combine all of these ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Gently simmer for two minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for more soothing and delicious winter drinks?
- Karak Chai
- Homemade Chai Recipe
- French Hot Chocolate
- Italian Hot Chocolate
- Orange Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate Coffee
What are your favorite homemade remedies for the winter season? Let me know in the comments below! 🙂
Haldi Doodh - Golden Turmeric Milk
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder haldi
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a pot, and bring to a boil.
- Gently simmer for 2 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.