Chinese Chicken Corn Soup is a super delicious and easy creamy soup that’s perfect to warm up with on cold winter evenings. It’s made with chicken, creamed corn and egg. Chicken Corn Soup is also popularly known as egg drop soup. Learn how to make Chinese Chicken Corn Soup with me today!
Looking for more Chinese inspired recipes? Check out my super popular recipe for Chicken Manchurian.
So this easy Chinese Chicken Corn Soup is quite delicious to make and is so easy that you won’t believe it. This creamy chicken corn soup is made in pretty much all Pakistani and Indian homes, and I’m guessing everyone has different ways of making it, as it is with such popular recipes.
Everyone has their own touch to add to this soup, and that’s what I like about these recipes because while they’re all generally the same each family adds their own unique touch and taste to it.
What is Chinese Chicken Corn Soup?
Chicken Corn Soup is an easy and popular soup made in India and Pakistan. It’s made with chicken, creamed corn and at the very end it’s finished with egg rivels.
Coming to Egg Rivels – How Do You Make Egg Rivels in Chinese Chicken Corn Soup?
See those white thread like strands in the chicken corn soup? Those are called rivels (or rivlets) and they’re a signature feature of chicken corn soup. They’re also super easy to make!
When the soup is completely cooked and thickened with cornstarch, we add a whisked egg and keep stirring the soup. The hot chicken corn soup causes the egg to cook quickly but in rivels. And there you have it, a delicious protein packed chicken corn soup! 🙂
The Chinese Chicken Corn Soup that I’m sharing with you today is the way my mother has been making this Chicken Corn Soup from as long as I can remember. And it’s one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made!
Family recipes are the best, aren’t they? I mean I suppose it’s because of all those childhood fond memories attached with the food you’ve grown up eating.
So basically everything is made in one pot (yay!) and there’s no chopping involved in this recipe (double yay!). Now, before I leave you to make this recipe here are a few How to Make Chicken Corn Soup tips to follow and make your soup as delicious as possible!
How to Make Chicken Corn Soup
1.) The chicken is cooked in water for about 30 minutes or so. This step makes the chicken broth or base for the soup, and also cooks the chicken through. It is important to use bone in chicken for this step, as it is crucial to make the stock / base of the soup.
2.) Once the chicken is cooked through, take it out and shred it into pieces. Set aside.
3.) Now all you have to do is flavor the soup with a few seasonings such as garlic powder, ginger powder and salt and pepper. This is why is this soup requires no chopping because we’re using these flavorful seasonings. But if you want, you can by all means use freshly chopped ginger or garlic – just make sure they are finally chopped or minced so that you don’t get pieces of ginger or garlic while eating the soup. At this point you will also add some soy sauce and white vinegar to further flavor the soup.
4.) Now add in the shredded chicken and creamed corn, and thicken the soup with cornstarch. Finally it’s time to add in a whisked egg which is what will create the rivulets which Chicken Corn Soup is so famous for. The egg will also help thicken the soup.
5.) And now here’s the best part, the guide on how to make Chicken Corn Soup is over, and all you have to do is serve it in bowls and eat up! 🙂
Oh and look who’s here…my tiny helper! 🙂
Served with warm garlic bread fresh from the oven, and doused with lots of soy sauce and vinegar, that’s the way we like it at our home! 🙂 Enjoy!!
Looking for More Delicious Indian and Pakistani Recipes?
How to Make Chicken Corn Soup
- 1 full chicken 1000 grams - cut into pieces, bone in and skinless
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 can 420 grams of creamed corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with a splash of water this is for thickening the soup
- 1 egg whisked
- Place chicken in a large pot and pour in the water. Simmer on medium low heat for about 30-40 minutes. The chicken will be cooked and the stock for the soup will be ready.
- Remove chicken from the pot, letting the stock remain in the pot. Add soy sauce, white vinegar, garlic powder, ginger powder, salt and pepper and creamed corn and let come to a boil. Shred the chicken and add it to the soup.
- Now add the cornflour water mixture and keep stirring until the soup has thickened. Do not worry if you thicken the soup too much by accident, you can just add a bit of water (like half a cup) to thin out. And if it's not thick enough to your liking you can add a bit more of cornflour/water mixture until the soup's consistency is to your liking.
- Now add in the whisked egg slowly, while continuously stirring. The egg will cook in seconds and you will be able to see rivulets of the egg.
- Take off heat and serve.