This Cheesy Baked Beef Rigatoni is everything. It’s loaded with cheese, it’s got a hearty meaty ground beef sauce and a creamy garlic white sauce and is basically everything you would look for in a quick weeknight meal.
So if you’re having a bad day at work, and are dreaming of a comforting dinner, this is the perfect recipe for you.
I mean, just look at all that golden cheddar cheese, and tell me you don’t want this for dinner tonight. And if you’re a cheese hater then I’m afraid we can’t be friends.
Just kidding, there are lots of non-cheese options for you here on the blog, such as this Baked Honey Garlic Lemon Chicken or Easy Chicken Korma Curry, although why you don’t like cheese is beyond me. :O
And if you’re a cheese lover, then this rigatoni bake with ground beef and cheese is the perfect dinner recipe for you.
The ingredient list may a little seem long, since there are two sauces involved, the actual process is pretty quick; especially if you multitask.
The ground beef meat sauce is made using a few pantry spices and jarred pasta sauce, which makes the whole process delicious and faster.
The white sauce is also very easy and made with a few simple ingredients and just adds a delicious creaminess to the whole dish.
You can of course skip the white sauce if you don’t feel like making it (we’ve all been there) but I would highly recommend putting in the effort because it adds that oomph to the pasta dish.
I love using rigatoni in this dish because it soaks up all the sauciness and is succulently delicious in each bite.
Once you’ve made both the sauces, and cooked the pasta, all you have to do is layer all this deliciousness into a large baking tray or casserole.
And then top with lots of cheddar cheese and baaaake until the cheese has melted and is all bubbly.
Yay! Your new favorite comfort pasta dish is ready, so bring out your fork and dig in!
Looking for more delicious pasta recipes?
Cheesy Baked Beef Rigatoni
- Meat Sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 400 grams 380 ml jarred pasta sauce
- White Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 300 grams rigatoni pasta cooked according to instructions on the package
- 1 cup cheddar cheese can increase amount if you like the pasta more cheesy
- Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C
- Meat Sauce
- Heat the oil in a large pot, and add the chopped onion. Fry the onion until slightly translucent and then add the ground beef and all of the spices. Cook until the beef is browned - about 10-15 minutes. Now add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes (about 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through). Finally add the pasta sauce and cook for a few minutes and then turn off the heat. Set aside.
- White Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat and then add the flour. Cook fro 1-2 minutes and then slowly pour in the milk, while continuously whisking. Continue whisking for 5-6 minutes until the sauce thickens. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Take off heat, and set aside.
- In a large baking dish, first start by layering with spreading a bit of the white sauce, and then some of the meat sauce. Now add a layer of pasta, then layer with the meat sauce, and then layer with white sauce. Repeat layers and then top with cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 F/190 C for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.