Korean Banana Milk is a popular Korean drink also known as banana uyu' (바나나 우유) and now you can easily make it at home. Binggrae Banana Milk inspires this recipe, and it only requires four simple ingredients and less than 5 minutes.
About this Recipe
Korean Banana Milk is called "Banana Mat Uyu" (바나나맛 우유) in Korean which translates to banana flavored milk.
This banana-flavored milk became popular when it was introduced by Binggrae in 1974. It is sold in tetra packs and 800,000 packs are sold of it in Korea each day.
Other popular versions of this beverage include flavors such as melon, lychee, and strawberry milk. (Wikpedia) It is easily available at Korean grocery stores or the closest Asian grocery stores near you.
While it's a delicious drink, it can get pricey (a pack of 6 costs $17.59 on Amazon), so I thought why not try a homemade version that's cheap and equally delicious?
Additionally, the homemade version is free of any additives, artificial flavorings, and preservatives. The original Binggrae version is made of 80% milk, sugar, and banana juice concentrate.
Also here's a little trivia for you: Jungkook from BTS loves his Korean Banana Milk and has been spotted in interviews enjoying this delicious drink.
Ingredients You'll Need
Milk: I use whole milk for this recipe, but you can use any dairy of your choice. To make this Korean Banana Milk dairy-free, you can use oat, soy, or almond milk.
Banana: Just like I advise in this Banana Milkshake recipe, use a ripe banana that's spotted. It will be sweeter and have a more intense flavor.
Water: If you've tried my Banana Milkshake recipe you will know that it does not require any water, as we want a thicker consistency. For this recipe, we need the water to achieve a thinner, milk-like consistency as that's what the original tetra pack version is like.
Sweetener: I used white sugar in this recipe, but you can easily use honey or maple syrup.
Vanilla Extract: The original Binggrae Banana Milk has a hint of vanilla flavor, so we need vanilla extract to achieve that flavor at home.
Food coloring: To make it more yellow in color, you can add a few drops of yellow food coloring if desired. This is an optional ingredient.
How to Make Korean Banana Milk
- Place all the ingredients in a high-power blender. I use a Nutribullet for all my drink recipes such as this Mango Lassi, Coffee Slushie, and Caramel Apple Milkshake.
- Blend for about 30 seconds or until the banana milk is completely smooth. We don't want any lumps at all.
- Pour into a glass, and serve immediately.
- Get the right consistency: Use a high-power blender to achieve the smoothest consistency possible.
- Make it Vegan: To make this drink vegan you can sub with a non-dairy milk of your choice. However, this may affect the consistency of the drink.
- Storage: This drink is best enjoyed immediately, however you can store it in the fridge for up to 1 day. There may be discoloration and separation as a result.
As with all processed products, you should only drink banana milk in moderation. However, the homemade version is quite healthy and you can enjoy it more often.
It primarily tastes like a banana (of course) and has a touch of vanilla.
As mentioned above in the post, you can either buy it from Amazon or a Korean grocery store near you.
Korean Banana Milk
- 1 banana ripe and peeled
- 1/2 cup whole milk ice cold
- 1/2 cup water ice cold
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- A small drop of vanilla extract
- A few drops of yellow food coloring optional
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour into serving glasses and serve immediately
- Banana: Use a ripe, spotted banana for the best flavor.
- Milk: I use whole milk, but you can use any milk of your choice.
- Sweetener: Use any sweetener of your choice.
- Vanilla extract: You can sub with vanilla essence as well.
- Yellow Food Color: If you want to add just a yellow tinge to the milk, you use a few drop of food coloring. This is optional.
- Storage Instructions: This drink is best enjoyed as soon as it's made. However it can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 day. Discoloration and separation may appear upon storage. Mix well before consuming.