This Caramel Apple Milkshake is so easy to make and tastes just like apple pie. Made with a homemade caramel apple filling and ice cream, it tastes heavenly and is perfect for fall!
One day, I was thinking to myself, why haven't I ever had an apple milkshake? I am obsessed with food, so I get lots of food-related thoughts obviously.
Then I thought, hmmm, would I like a chopped apple blended with milk and ice cream? And the answer was no. I wanted something more than just that.
But then my mind said, what if you made an apple pie-inspired filling, and made that into a milkshake? And I knew, that this I had to try, no matter what.
And I did try it. And guess what? It turned out absolutely delicious. Pumpkin Spice Latte, move over, the new perfect drink for fall is in town! 🙂
And so folks, this is how I came up with your next favorite drink: Caramel Apple Milkshake.
Why This Recipe Works So Well
- Tastes like Dessert: This apple shake quite honestly tastes like an indulgent dessert in drink form. It has all the flavors of an apple pie.
- Super Easy: Although there's an additional step to making the caramel apple filling, it only takes a few minutes and elevates the flavors so much!
- Perfect Treat for Kids: This is such a unique and yummy shake the kids would absolutely love it, and also get some fruit into their little tummies! 🙂
- Apple: I highly recommend that you use a tart variety of apples here like granny smith. This is already a very sweet milkshake, so the tartness of a granny smith adds a very good balance to the overall flavor. However, you can use other varieties too such as apple gala. Depending on the sweetness of the apple, you might have to adjust the amount of brown sugar used for the filling.
- Butter: I use salted butter as opposed to unsalted because again it balances the sweetness really well.
- Milk: For best resutls, use full fat milk to achieve a creamy and thick milkshake.
- Ice Cream: Use high quality vanilla ice cream as using low fat ice cream will not give the same results.
- Cinnamon powder: Don't skip this, it adds all the apple pie and fall feelings to this recipe.
- Brown Sugar: You can adjust the amount according to your taste, but it's important to use brown sugar as it gives that caramel taste to the apple filling.
- Whipped Cream: This is an optional topping, but if you're feeling extra indulgent, go for it!
How to Make It
Make the Caramel Apple Filling:
- Start by melting butter in a skillet or pot.
- Add the chopped apple, and then cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the brown sugar and cinnamon powder, stir, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Once the apple has softened, and the sauce has thickened a bit, remove from the skillet.
- Let the apple caramel filling cool down.
Make the Apple Milkshake:
- Add the vanilla ice cream, prepared apple filling, and milk to a blender or nutribullet.
- Blend for a few seconds until fully combined, and the shake is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into serving glasses, top with whipped cream, and enjoy!
- Cool That Filling: Once you've made the apple filling, it's important to let it cool down completely, or else it will melt the ice cream in the blender. To cool it down quickly, simply place it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes and then proceed with the recipe.
- Use a high-powered blender: I highly recommend using a high-powered blender or nutribullet for this millshake recipe for the best results. You may also use a food processor if you don't have a blender.
- Topping Ideas: Top with whipped cream, chocolate chips, a dusting of cinnamon powder or even a little sprinkle of brown sugar if you like! You can also reserve some of the apple filling and use it to top the shake!
If you don't have a blender, you can still make this recipe. Instead use a food processor, a chopper or you can even use an immersion blender.
I don't recommend storing this milkshake, as the ice cream will melt and it won't be as good as fresh. You can however make the caramel apple filling in advance, and then use it for the milkshake whenever you would like to make it.
More Delicious Drink Recipes
Caramel Apple Milkshake
- Blender or Nutribullet
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1 granny smith apple peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- Making the Caramel Apple Filling:
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add the chopped apple, and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the brown sugar and cinnamon powder, and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the chopped apple has softened.
- Remove from the skillet, and set aside to cool. I place the caramel apple filling in the fridge to quickly cool it down.
- Making the Milkshake
- In a blender or a nutribullet, add the vanilla ice cream, prepared caramel apple filling, and milk.
- Blend for a few seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into chilled glasses, top with whipped cream and if you wish, additional caramel apple filling or a dusting of cinnamon powder.
- Apple: I prefer to use granny smith apple as they aren't very sweet, and so complement the caramel filling very nicely. However, you can use your favorite kind of apple, and reduce the amount of brown sugar according to your taste.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Using a good quality ice cream is highly recommended for this recipe as it's a key ingredient. If you want a healthier option, you could try vanilla frozen yogurt.
- Butter: I always use salted butter because it really helps to balance the sweetness in this recipe.
- Cinnamon powder: It adds such a cozy and fall vibe to this shake.
- Brown Sugar: You can adjust the amount according to your preference.
- Milk: I use full-fat milk for this recipe as it gives the creamiest results. You can however use any milk of your choice.