Pepperoni Pizza Fries are the perfect way to make anyone happy. Made with waffle fries, pizza sauce, two kinds of cheese, and pepperoni slices, this delicious snack is a dream come true for anyone who likes Pizza and Fries both. Perfect for game day snacks, parties, or even a late afternoon snack!
These homemade pizza fries have all the things my kids love. My daughter loves anything pizza, and my son lives for french fries. So I decided, why not give them a snack that incorporates both. It was a hit!
P.S. I've even called these pepperoni fries 'dinner' on days when I don't want to really cook! 😉
What Makes this Recipe Special
- Waffle Fries: For this recipe, I like to use waffle fries, because first of all they're really fun to eat. But more importantly, their shape makes scoopability easy and they're also able to withstand the weight of the toppings.
- Minimal clean up: I bake the fries separately on a baking tray, and then transfer them to a cast iron skillet to make them look all pretty and nice. You can however, just keep everything on a baking tray, for minimal clean up. Just bake the chips first, and then add the toppings and pop back into the oven for the cheese to melt and for the pepperoni to cook.
- Versatility: This is a super versatile recipe, and you can change the type of fries and toppings with whatever your preference is. More on different toppings below.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Waffle fries: I like to use these because of their shape and scoopability. Swap with thick cut french fries or even crinkle cut.
- Pizza sauce: I used store bought, but you can of course use homemade or even marinara sauce would be a great option here.
- Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese: use mozzarella for the cheese pull, and cheddar for that delicious flavor.
- Pepperoni slices: use mini pepperoni slices for cuter presentation, or other meats such as pre cooked chicken or salami.
- Black olives & green bell pepper
How to Make Pizza Fries
- Bake the Waffle Fries: Start by baking them on a baking tray according to package directions. Layer baked fries in an iron skillet, and top with pizza sauce. Pro tip: I used an iron skillet for presentation, but you can simple make the whole recipe in one baking tray for easy clean up.
- Add the cheese: I used both mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Mozzarella is great for that cheese pull, and cheddar adds a great flavor. Use any type of cheese you have on hand, but make sure that it is freshly grated and not pre-packaged shredded cheese, as it doesn't melt as easily.
- Top with Pepperoni: Use regular sized like I did, or even mini pepperoni slices would look so cute.
- Add chopped green bell pepper & black olives. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 c for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
More Topping Ideas:
- Meat toppings: Precooked chicken breasts chopped into cubes, salami, or even cut up hot dogs are a great option as toppings.
- Vegetarian toppings: Jalapenos, chopped onions, green onions, sliced mushrooms, or any other veggie that you would top a pizza with.
- Sauces: Instead of pizza sauce, why not try marinara, bbq sauce or even white pizza sauce? Now that would be delicious!
- Cheese: Use any cheese of your choice that melts easily. Try provolone or even monterery jack.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I would not recommend making this ahead, as the fries can get soggy from all the pizza sauce and cheese. But you can make them beforehand, keep them warm in the oven, and right before serving top with all the toppings. Bake until the cheese has melted, and then serve immediately.
Yes, you can simply cook the fries on the stove, following the package directions. Then proceed by adding the toppings, and then you can put them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remember to use a microwave-safe dish!
More Delicious Snack Recipes
Note: This recipe was first published on 5th October 2018. I've updated this post for newer pictures, a video tutorial, and a more detailed recipe card.
- 10 inch cast iron skillet
- Baking Tray
- 500 grams frozen waffle fries
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 pepperoni slices or as many as you like
- Olives for topping
- Chopped green bell pepper for topping
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Bake the frozen waffle fries according to package directions.
- Top with pizza sauce and spread evenly.
- Add the mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Place the pepperoni slices on the surface.
- Top with olives and chopped green bell pepper.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pepperoni is cooked through.
- Waffle Fries: They hold the weight of all the toppings perfectly because of their shape and size. But I have also used thick-cut french fries and even crinkle cut with great success.
- Pizza Sauce: For ease, I use storebought but you can use homemade. Also try with marinara sauce, white pizza sauce, or even BBQ sauce.
- Cheese: Substitute with any cheese that melts nicely.
- Topping ideas: use pre-cooked chicken breasts chopped into cubes, salami, or even sliced hot dogs. You can also top with jalapenos, mushrooms, or even tomatoes chopped into small pieces.