These Easy Spicy Dorito Nachos are perfect for tailgating parties and get-togethers. These nachos are made with Doritos, with a layer of saucy bbq chicken, and topped with jalapenos, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Of course, there's that delicious cheese too, to round it all up!
Table of contents
About this Recipe - An Addictive Snack
Many years ago, when I started this blog of mine, I used to go on these creative cooking spins. I wanted to experiment and would come up with some delicious ideas.
So it occurred to me during those days, what would it be like to make some delicious nachos using Doritos?
And this is how this simple nachos recipe was made. And when I say that it is simple, it definitely is super simple but full of cheesy, spicy, and sweet goodness.
Each bite is full of delight, and I bet you won't be able to stop after the first bite!
Why this Recipe is a Must Make!
Everyone loves nachos, and they're easy enough to make as well. So why try this recipe? I have a few good reasons for you. 🙂
- Easy: These Dorito nachos are extremely easy to make at home, and take no time at all. You only need a handful of ingredients, and just do a bit of mixing and layering, and then bake in the oven!
- More Flavor: My recipe uses Nacho Cheese Doritos instead of tortilla chips, and I believe this makes the nachos way more flavorful than just using toritlla chips. The cheesy flavor of Doritos just balances everything out so beautifully with the bbq chicken. You can also use any flavor of the chips you want, I think Cool Doritos would be fabulous here.
- Customizable: As always the best recipes are those which are adaptable to your likes and dislikes. These Doritos nachos are super customizable just like these Pizza Fries and I have listed some variations down below for you.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Doritos: I like to use the nacho cheese flavor, but I've also tried the sweet chili flavor and they pair fabulously too. You can use any flavor of Doritos that you like.
- Chicken: I used cooked chicken breasts, which I then shredded. To cook them, I just boiled the chicken breasts with 1/2 cup water, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. You can also use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- BBQ sauce: I used store bought for this recipe, but if you prefer homemade, here is a good recipe.
- Bell pepper: I used green bell pepper, but you can also use red, yellow or orange. Note that green bell peppers have a strong flavor and aroma, and the other colors have a sweeter and milder flavor.
- Cheese: I used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese, because I feel mozzarella on it's own just does not have enough flavor. You can use any good melting cheese of your choice for this recipe. Monterey Jack is a great option too.
- Tomato: Use ripe but firm tomatoes. I like to scoop out the seeds with a spoon before chopping into small cubes.
- Green onion: Sliced on an angle, green onions are a favorite topping of mine. If you don't have any you can add freshly chopped cilantro instead.
- Pickled Jalapenos: They add a subtle spiciness but balance so well with the sweet bbq sauce, and bring together all the flavors beautifully.
How to Make Homemade Dorito Nachos
Step 1 - Prepare the BBQ chicken: In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken and bbq sauce and mix well.
Step 2 - Layer: Place the Doritos in a single layer in a 10-inch skillet or a baking tray.
Step 3 - Toppings: Add the bbq chicken, then top with bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapenos, and shredded cheese.
Step 4 - Bake: for 5 minutes at 200 c in the oven, and then remove from the oven. Serve immediately!
- Meat Variations: Instead of using shredded chicken, you can use ground beef or chicken too. Ground turkey or turkey breast would be a great option here too.
- Make it Vegetarian: If you want to skip the meat, you can substitute it with black beans or pinto beans, or even refried beans!
- Cheese: Use your favorite melting cheese such as mozzarella or colby. To add even more flavor you can top with crumbled feta cheese after baking.
- Toppings: Use as many toppings as you like such as chopped red onion, olives, avocado, pico de Gallo and even chopped coriander.
- Additional dips/flavorings: sour cream, tomato salsa and guacamole are all great options to serve with these baked nachos.
Yes, it's fine to bake them! Just don't keep them in the oven for too long, or the edges start burning.
Yes! Place the chips on a microwave-safe plate or small tray, and top with reheatable toppings such as chicken and cheese. Heat in small bursts of 5-10 seconds until the cheese is melted. Be careful as the Doritos might get scorched. Once the cheese has melted, top with veggies such as tomatoes and pickled jalapenos.
For Easy Clean Up: Layer your baking tray or iron skillet with parchment paper to make cleaning up super easy and fast.
Make it into a Loaded Dorito Nachos Bar: You can also make this into a nachos bar by keeping the toppings separate so that people can assemble their plates however they want.
Don't Burn the Doritos: Remember that you don't need to bake these Doritos Nachos for very long, or they'll get scorched. You only want to get that cheese melted properly.
I do not recommend these nachos as within a few hours, the Doritos will become stale. However, if you do want to make these ahead, you can prepare all the toppings beforehand, and when it's time to serve assemble and bake.
More Delicious Appetizers & Party Foods
- Chicken Malai Tikka Boti
- Halloumi Fries
- Aloo Tikki
- Dynamite Shrimp
- Mozzarella Cheese Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls
- Chicken Cheese Balls
Note: This recipe was originally published on Jan 30, 2017. It has been updated for better pictures, a delicious video tutorial and step-by-step instructions on how to make the most amazing baked Dorito nachos!
Easy Spicy Dorito Nachos with Cheese (Oven Baked)
- For the BBQ Chicken:
- 2 cooked chicken breasts shredded
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- For the Nachos
- 1 large bag of Doritos I used the cheddar cheese flavor, you can use any flavor you want
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven 400 F / 200 C and prepare a cast iron skillet or baking tray by lightly greasing it.
- For the BBQ Chicken:
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the chicken and BBQ sauce and mix. Set aside.
- For the Nachos:
- Spread the Doritos onto the cast iron skillet in one layer.
- Spread the chicken, green bell pepper, onion and tomato evenly onto the Doritos.
- Sprinkle over the cheddar and mozzarella cheese so that it evenly covers the entire surface.
- Bake for about 5 minutes until heated through and the cheese has melted.
- You may top the Doritos with additional diced bell pepper, onion and tomato if desired.
- Serve immediately with guacamole, tomato salsa, and sour cream if desired.
- Chicken: I used two chicken breasts which I cooked by boiling them with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon onion powder. Once the chicken breasts were cooked, I removed them from the pot, and shredded with two forks.
- BBQ Sauce: I use American Garden sweet bbq sauce, but you can also use a homemade version if you like.
- Cheese: I use both mozzarella and cheddar cheese, but you can use any other good melting cheese of your choice such as colby.
- More topping ideas: olives, chopped red onion, and fresh coriander are all good options.
- Meat variation: You can also use ground chicken, ground beef or even turkey for this recipe.
- Make it Vegetarian: You can easily swap the chicken with pinto or refried beans.
- For Easy Clean Up: Layer your baking tray or iron skillet with parchment paper to make cleaning up super easy and fast.
- Make it into a Nachos Bar: You can also make this into a nachos bar by keeping the toppings separate so that people can assemble their plates however they want.
- Don't Burn the Doritos: Remember that you don't need to bake these Doritos Nachos for very long, or they'll get scorched. You only want to get that cheese melted properly.