Chocolate Lovers, meet your new breakfast best friend: No Mixer Double Chocolate Muffins.
These are the kind of muffins that will be with you early in the mornings when you don’t want to go to work and face the boss (especially if they’re something like the Devil Wears Prada).
Or you’re just not ready to handle toddler tantrums and dramatics early in the morning.
Or for when you’ve spent all night working for a mid-term paper due in like 3 minutes.
BTW DID YOU KNOW?
The tree that chocolate comes from is called Theobroma cacao – which means Food of the Gods. I mean obviously we should have all known that, because chocolate is heavenly delicious!
These muffins are perfect for any and whatever kind of chocolate lover you are. The melty pockets of chocolate chips (btw 2 whole cups of chocolate chips go into this heavenly batter), the soft and moist chocolatey crumb, the nice and chewy crusty top of the muffins. It’s a blissful chocolate experience, I tell you.
CHOCOLATE FUN FACT
The first chocolate bar was invented by Joseph Fry in 1847. Well, thank you so much Mr. Fry, you made the world a better place. The world owes you for such a great contribution! 😉
These muffins are pure chocolate perfection. I like to pair them with a strong cup of cardamom tea, but they would go just as well with coffee. Because coffee and chocolate are best friends forever. Speaking of which, we do add some coffee to the muffin batter, to bring out the chocolate flavor. Don’t worry though if you’re not a coffee lover, because you won’t be able to taste it. You may also opt to skip it, if you want to.
These muffins are your best friends, they don’t ask for anything, all they do is give you chocolatey sweetness and each crumb is there to help you cheer up. And since they’re muffins, it’s totally okay to have them for breakfast because we all know that muffins = breakfast. Yay!
Now I gotta go and brew some piping hot cardamom tea, so that I can devour one or two of these beauties!
No Mixer Double Chocolate Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk see notes for homemade/DIY buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup oil any neutral flavored one will do such as canola
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F degrees. Line the muffin tin with 12 paper cups.
- Melt the butter in a bowl, and set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the all purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs with the buttermilk, oil, melted butter, coffee granules and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick and lumpy.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cups and fill them almost all the way to the top. Bake for 3 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F - the high temperature helps the muffins rise high. Bake for an additional 12-17 minutes (15-20 minutes total), until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean - NOTE: you will have to be careful as there are so many chocolate chips you may get a melty pocket and it may seem the muffins aren't cooked through - either insert the toothpick avoiding the chocolate chips or use the touch and spring method - if the muffins are cooked they'll spring back when you touch the top. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from pan.
You may use DIY buttermilk/soured milk as a substitute. Simply measure out 1 cup of milk and stir in 1 tablespoon white vinegar and let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes until the milk is curdled. Your DIY buttermilk is ready for use!
Recipe very slightly adapted from Pretty Simple Sweet.
Craving more chocolate? Here are some more chocolate recipes for you!