This Triple Chocolate Bundt cake is made with just 5 ingredients! It's very easy to make, and it's super moist and rich with chocolate flavor! Drizzle with a two ingredient chocolate ganache, to take it to the next level!
This Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake, well, let's just say that it has lost all sense of what is a respectable amount of chocolate allowed in a dessert. And let's admit it, the best kind of chocolate desserts are those that are practically just made of all chocolate. The kind where you need a glass of cold water to wash it down!
Why This Recipe Works
This is a no fail recipe, and is so easy because it uses chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding mix as the main ingredients.
Even though this cake isn't made from scratch, it tastes like it is. I love adding chocolate pudding mix to this cake because it lends to extra flavor and moistness in the cake.
This is because we add ingredients such as buttermilk (instead of water) and eggs to take it to the next level.
What's interesting to note is that this recipe has no fat element such as butter or oil. While this might seem strange, because almost all cakes have either one listed as an ingredient, trust me when I say this cake turns out super moist and with a tender crumb. You'd never be able to tell that there's no oil or butter in it!
Another thing that I absolutely love about this recipe is that you don't need an electric mixer for making the batter. Just use a good old whisk, and you're good to go!
Then there's the two ingredient ganache. Ready in less than a minute, and so very delicious! Drizzle it over this divine cake, and enjoy the extra indulgence!
What You Need
- Chocolate Cake Mix & Chocolate Pudding Mix: These are the ingredients that make the cake super easy to make. They're super convenient. The pudding mix adds extra moistness and flavor to this cake.
- Buttermilk: Use store bought or make it at home. All you need is 1 cup of milk plus 1 tablespoon of white vinegar OR fresh lemon juice. Stir the two together, let stand for 2 minutes and your homemade buttermilk is ready to use now!
- Chocolate Chips & Heavy Cream for the Ganache: You need these two to make my delicious two ingredient chocolate ganache! It's the easiest icing/frosting on earth.
- Reese's Minis: These are optional (but are they really?) and for garnishing the cake and to add just a little bit of extra flavor!
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature, as it helps them incorporate better into the cake batter!
How To Make It
- Whisk together the chocolate cake mix and the chocolate pudding mix in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients: eggs, buttermilk, water. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Make the cake batter: Pour in the combined wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and using a whisk mix until the batter comes together.
- Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan, and bake at 350 F / 176 C degrees for about 40-45 minutes until the cake is baked. Remove from oven, and let cool at least one hour before inverting it out on to a serving platter.
- Make the Two Ingredient Ganache: Gently warm the heavy cream in the microwave.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. Your ganache is ready.
Expert Tips and FAQs
Make sure you grease the bundt pan very well. And then dust it with 1 teaspoon of flour or cocoa powder. This is to ensure that the cake does not get stuck when removing from the pan. I recommend using cocoa powder to the dust the pan, because using flour can sometimes result in white spots on the baked cake. If this does happen, don't worry, because you can just cover it all up with the chocolate ganache.
Buttermilk is essential in this recipe, don't skip it, because it makes the cake super moist. If you don't have buttermilk at home, just make the homemade version which is: 1 cup milk + 2 tablespoons white vinegar stirred together. Let this stand for 1-2 minutes until it appears curdled. Your buttermilk is ready to be used.
This cake requires only the DRY mixes. Do not use the ingredients listed on the back of the packages. Only the ingredients I've listed in the recipe card below are the ones that go into the batter.
Make sure your eggs and buttermilk are at room temperature as they are easily incorporated with the rest of the ingredients while making the batter. An easy way to quickly bring eggs to room temperature is to place them in hot water for 10 minutes or so.
Grease the bundt pan really well, making sure you reach every nook and cranny. Once the cake is baked, allow the cake too cool down completely for at least 1 hour, before inverting it onto the serving platter. If however, your bundt cake does crack or stick, you can just simple cover it up with the ganache. It'll still be super delicious!
When chocolate ganache cools down, it tends to get solid. If this happens, just simply microwave it for a few seconds and then stir with a spoon. It'll be back to all that liquid goodness.
Yes! It can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. It'll remain super delicious and moist. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw it in the fridge overnight, and bring to room temperature. Drizzle with chocolate ganache and sprinkle over a few chocolate chips.
More Delicious Cake Recipes
If you've tried this delicious recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, don't forget to rate it and let me know how you liked it in the comments section below. I love hearing from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM, to see more delicious food and behind the scenes.
Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 10 inch bundt pan
- Mixing bowl
- For the Cake:
- 1 15.25 ounce box chocolate cake mix
- 1 3.5 ounce box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup buttermilk (homemade buttermilk: Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. It's ready to use now!)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips I used Hershey's
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Mini Reese's or chocolate chips for garnishing optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 176 C. Prepare a 10 inch bundt cake by greasing it well, and then dusting it with a tablespoon of flour or cocoa powder.
Make the Cake Batter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: the chocolate cake mix and the chocolate pudding mix. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: eggs, water, and buttermilk.
- Pour this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. And whisk until the batter is combined and no dry lumps remain. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Make the Chocolate Ganache
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the heavy cream in a microwave for about 30 seconds. The heavy cream should be just warm, and not very hot.
- Now add the chocolate chips, and stir for 1-2 minutes until the chocolate chips melt completely.
- Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven. Let cake cool for at least 1 hour. Run a knife around the edges, and then invert on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with chocolate ganache, and garnish with Mini Reese's or chocolate chips if using. Enjoy!
- In the Refrigerator: Cover cooled cake and store in the fridge up to 2 days.
- In the Freezer: Baked cake can be frozen up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw the cake overnight in the fridge. Once the cake is thawed fully, bring the cake to room temperature. Drizzle with chocolate ganache and serve.