Saag Aloo aka Aloo Palak is a classic vegetarian recipe that’s made with spinach and potatoes. It’s quick, easy and so very nutritious.
So technically the recipe I’m sharing with you today is aloo palak, which quite literally mean potato and spinach. Saag on the other hand refers to different kinds of leafy greens which include collard greens or mustard greens.
It’s super delicious and so very easy too. It’s also pretty healthy, given that it’s vegetarian and has lots of spinach in it. Pair it with some rice, roti and chutney, and you’re all set to have a perfect, hearty meal.
I’ll be honest, and say that I rarely ever use fresh spinach. Because I just find it so easy to use. We get chopped frozen spinach at our grocery store, so that’s what I use but I’ve seen packets of frozen whole spinach leaves too.
If that’s what you have, then you will have to let it thaw a little bit and then roughly chop.
And of course, you can use fresh spinach too!
The Magic Ingredient
Whenever I’m making this recipe, or any other spinach recipe such as Palak Chicken, I like to add a little bit of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) in the very end. Kasuri methi is what I feel gives the umami factor in desi recipes, especially when you’re making greens.
However, if it’s not easily available to you, you can do without it. The recipe will still turn out delicious.
I do hope you try this recipe, and let me know how it was in the comments.
More Delicious Pakistani Recipes to Try
Saag Aloo (Aloo Palak)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 medium potatoes chopped into cubes
- 2 to matoes chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 450 grams frozen spinach I get the chopped kind
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kasuri methi optional
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add the cumin and garlic and fry for a minute or two until golden.
- Now add the finely chopped onion, and fry until its golden brown.
- Add the chopped potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes or so until slightly cooked.
- Now add the tomatoes along with the red chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until you can see the oil coming to the surface.
- Now add the spinach and cook on medium low heat, covered, for 15-20 minutes while stirring every few minutes.
- Once the spinach is cooked, add kasuri methi and garam masala powder. Mix.
- Serve immediately.