This White Chicken Karahi is creamy, savoury and just super delicious. I mean we’re talking about a spicy, creamy chicken curry, what’s there not to like? 🙂
I absolutely love this version of chicken karahi, not only for its taste (which is really good btw) but also for the fact that it takes very less effort in the kitchen. You know that’s what I’m all about. If you’re looking for the traditional tomato based karahi, then do check out my Easy Chicken Karahi Recipe. It’s super yummy too!
What You Need
Ginger garlic paste
Green chillies (grinded into a paste)
Spices (mainly black pepper, roasted cumin and roasted coriander)
See, lots of yummy ingredients going on in this chicken karahi, and not much chopping involved!
Boneless Chicken or Bone-In Chicken?
The recipe as written calls for bone-in chicken, because it makes the recipe more flavorful. But you can sub with boneless chicken cut into cubes. The cooking time will reduce accordingly.
Cream or No Cream in White Chicken Karahi?
I like to add a little bit of heavy cream in the end for some richness, but I think it would be okay to leave it out completely. However, I would add a little bit more yogurt if omitting the heavy cream.
How to Make Roasted Cumin Seeds & Roasted Coriander Seeds
This recipe requires roasted cumin seeds and roasted coriander seeds which are then roughly grounded. This is fairly easy to do.
Just dry roast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a frying pan, until fragrant…this will only take 15 seconds or so. Be careful not to burn spices.
Remove from the frying pan and let cool for a bit. Then roughly ground with mortar and pestle. Use as directed in the recipe below.
Trust me, this little step, makes the whole dish soooo flavorful…you won’t regret it! 🙂
What to Serve with White Chicken Karahi
White Chicken Karahi
- 500 grams bone-in chicken you may also use boneless chicken cubes
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 4 green chillies grinded into a paste
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground is best, but you may also use powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds roughly grounded
- 1 teaspoon roasted coriander seeds roughly grounded
- 2 inch ginger julienned or thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream or tetra pack cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 green chillies finely sliced
- Heat oil in a wok, add the chicken and fry until its golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste, and salt.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the yogurt, black pepper, cumin and coriander.
- Add this yogurt mixture to the chicken, and cook for an addition 6-8 minutes until most of the water has evaporated, and you can see the oil on the surface of the curry.
- Now add the cream and butter, and cook for a minute or two.
- Garnish with green chillies and julienned ginger. Serve with roti or naan.